Education For All OOSC in Zanzibar
UNICEF works to ensure that every child in Tanzania has access to quality basic education. For this to happen, the organisation believes that children need to be ready to learn, teachers prepared to teach and schools enabled to provide quality education for all.
The ultimate goal of the Education For All OOSC in Zanzibar project is to improve equitable access to, and retention in, quality primary education for all OOSC in Zanzibar. Moreover, the project aims to reinforce the Government of Zanzibar’s attempt to achieve universal primary education and aligns with the Zanzibar Education Development Programme (ZEDP II), which seeks to boost access amongst the most disadvantaged children.
To achieve this aim, the project endeavours to:
- Increase community engagement and support in identification, enrolment and retention of OOSC;
- Improve school infrastructure and safe-learning environments for primary school children;
- Improve primary school teacher competencies and motivation to effectively deliver quality teaching for OOSC;
- Increase access to psychosocial, mentorship and life-skills support for OOSC; and
- Improve the capacity of government institutions and schools to use technological innovations in planning, coordination and monitoring quality and equity in education of OOSC.
In addition, the Education For All OOSC in Zanzibar project will scale up Zanzibar’s existing Alternative-Learning Programme (ALP) to integrate OOSC into the formal education system.
For more information about this EAC Implementing Partner, please visit the UNICEF website.